Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Google's chrome


Monday morning, I was in the office, checking up my mail when I got a news update on the Goggle desktop. Google was unveiling it's new browser, christened, "Chrome" on Tuesday. So, was it an another great 'Google' secret? Huff! Anyways, I immediately fired my browser to the Google's homepage, filled with triumph, to be the first one at work to discover it. But my honeymoon got over soon, when I realized that it is Tuesday: by United States time.

Nevertheless, came the Wednesday morning, and while people are celebrating the Ganesh festival, I am here sitting and playing with this new Internet toy. First thing that I noticed about this browser is it refreshingly new interface. Layout is quite inviting, and the colors are apple for the eyes. Recently visited web pages greets you in an ingeniously placed square grid, when you open the browser. I found this feature quite cool, but a moment later not so cool :P (you know why right?)

Although, lots of innovation has been brought in with the chrome , but the one I like is the concept of "process" instead of threads. Google says that it optimizes the processing and does not render the browser freak out when a web page hangs. There is also a task manager, just like the windows task manager, that shows the memory and cpu consumption of a tab. This is quite useful because it helps to shut down a crazy, misbehaving website without murdering the browser itself. But still my browser crashed occasionally.

Downloading time was more or less same as compared to IE. I was actually surprised when I went to the Chrome downloading page, and found that the Chrome was only 446Kb. A smile bestowed on my face. But my belief in "There is nothing like free lunch" got strengthen, when I clicked on the installer.

I would strongly vouch for this new browser as a must have in every computer. I hope, google has also unveiled the linux version of chrome and if not, would do it soon.

Download it now here!

No comments: